CBM in numbers
In its mission to improve the quality of life of persons with disabilities in the world's poorest communities, CBM, with partners, reached more than 10.5 million people in 2013. They came from all walks of life and from many different cultures - CBM offers help irrespective of religion and actively promotes inclusion of women and girls.
A global operation
Quality of work
Empowerment driving inclusion
- Community Based Rehabilitation (CBR) projects (197 in 2013) as well as facilitating peer groups for persons with disabilities and their families with 202,505 participants,
- Education and Rehabilitation projects (386 in 2013) reaching 801,785 persons,
- Livelihood projects (113 in 2013 from 84 in 2010) reaching 123,742 persons,
- Advocacy to influence local or national policy on disability (441 projects were involved in advocacy work); and 490 projects were involved at the community level to create awareness about the rights of persons with disabilities.
2013 Key Statistics
- 801,785 clients received education or rehabilitation services
- 702,885 people received medical services for ear conditions
- 665,937 people received medical services for orthopaedic conditions
- 8,402,873 people received medical services for eye conditions
- 848,885 operations were performed including 794,061 eye operations, 18,212 ear operations, and 36,441 orthopaedic operations;
- ·1,003,703 assistive devices were distributed including 795,835 spectacles; 28,918 low vision devices, 21,427 hearing aids, 115,691 orthopaedic appliances and 41,832 other devices;
- · More than 74,000 professionals were trained in 2013 (in particular 2,097 doctors, 3,804 nurses and 18,306 teachers) to enable our partners and enhance local and national capacity.
- Mass Drug Administration (MDA)/Neglected Tropical Diseases eye health related:
Of the 13,803,664 persons receiving treatment in 2013,
11,991,161 people were treated with mectizan for onchocerciasis (oncho);
1,812,503 people were treated with azithromycin for trachoma.
- Comprehensive Mass Drug Administration activities (non-eye):
Of the 6,384,761 treatments for non-eye related MDA activities,
5,746,274 treatments were provided for Lymphatic Filariasis (LF)
629,032 for Soil transmitted helminthes (STH) and
9,455 for Schistosomiasis (SCH).