- © MAP
CBM in Latin America supports 151 projects, administrated by regional offices located in Ecuador, Mexico and Haiti, focusing on the prevention of blindness (Vision 2020), education and rehabilitation, Community-Based Rehabilitation, prevention of deafness, vocational training and other mandate areas.
Latin America Regional Office
CBM's programmes in South America started in 1972 with a CBM-supported project in Peru. There is now a total of 151 project partners in the region.
- Several new projects are being supported in Haiti in the frame of the recent earthquake and in cooperation with other NGOs. A CBM coordination office exists in Port-au-Prince for this purpose.
- In Bolivia, the creation of a network among five CBM-supported projects in the area of deafness was supported, to increase prevention of deafness and to strengthen the rights and integration of persons with hearing impairment. The first study on prevalence of deafness carried out in Latin America at national level was supported in Ecuador in 2009, together with the World Health Organization (WHO).
CBM priorities in Latin America
- Working with partners that offer comprehensive services in quality and quantity
- Networking and coordinating with other stakeholders
- Pro-actively promoting the rights of people with disability
- Enabling persons with disability and their organisations