Celebrating World Disability Day 2012
- © CBM
On December 3rd, the United Nations and the world celebrate International Day of Persons with Disabilities. CBM and our global partners join this celebration, an initiative to highlight the rights and dignity of Persons with Disabilities worldwide.
Theme for 2012: 'Removing barriers to create an inclusive and accessible society for all'
CBM and partners worldwide celebrating Dec 3rd 2012
CBM and GIZ will show the award winning movie 'iThemba from Zimbabwe ' about young musicians with physical disabilities. We have invited all members of GIZ, German Embassy, Goethe-Institut, Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung, staff of Bangladesh-German Chamber of Commerce and CBM partners and stakeholders.
Belgium (Brussels) - an event on Political participation of Persons with Disabilities at the European Parliament
The event will be held at the European Parliament on 4th December, and it will be hosted by Members of the European Parliament Gay Mitchell (EPP, Ireland) and Michael Cashman (SD, UK). This event will be an opportunity to open the debate about the role that the EU – and other international actors – should play in supporting political participation of persons with disabilities, such as by promoting changes to voting and legal capacity laws, and by supporting measures to improve accessibility of polling stations and of voting information and materials.
Bolivia - Christmas choir, recycling campaign and conference on main needs and unresolved problems of people with disabilities and their families
- Presentations of the Christmas choir of the Chapel of Loma de San Juan with the participation of children with disability from Casas de Amistad, Sammy group, CERFI, CEADI and APRECIA.
- Recycling campaigns with parents and the support of the Municipality from December 3rd to December 7th.
YANAPASIÑA Pastoral Social Caritas La Paz will organise a conference about the main needs and unresolved problems of people with disabilities and their families. Also they will participate in a Fair organised by the Departmental Council of Disabled People of Beni to report on rights of persons with disabilities.
Thursday 6th December
- Conference and Debate
Friday 7th December
- Reception of national Authorities
Saturday 8th December
- Final of Sport Cup
CBM will be participating in the program through the participation of CBM's CBR Regional Advisor, and will make communication on Inclusive Development as advocacy to the national Authorities and participants.
- A learning Space on Inclusion dedicated to all development actors in country and national authorities: "Good practices of Inclusion in Burkina Faso)
- SIM, our partners has been identify to present Survivals yards as a
- inclusion mean in socio-economic life during the learning space.
- A concert and testimony Forum
- Various inclusive bands and disabled and non-disables artist (music, dance, theater) will perform. Persons with disability and their parents will give their testimonies. Media will be associated to the program.
Launching of the World Report on Disability (what is the World Report?)
National Conference on Disability Inclusive Development
Khos Pick Island, December 3-5, 2012
CIC (Consejo de Iglesias de Cuba) will organise the following activities on December 3rd : in the Episcopal Church in the city of Cienfuegos, presentation to the deaf community of the first DVD with passages of the Second Testament translated into the language sign for Cubans deaf. National Meeting of People with Disabilities of Cuban Churches with the participation of the President of “Consejo de Iglesias de Cuba”, and the former President of Baptist Convention of Western Cuba (Rev. Alberto González)
- Nov. 12: Panel on a TV show
- Nov. 24: Basketball game
- Nov. 29: Panel about the conventions of UN and OEA on disability
- Nov. 30: The Director of the National Council for the Disabled wil participate in a local TV panel
- Dec. 3rd: Special celebration in CAES and conference on human rights of people with disability by Jose Mantilla, President of CAES
'Instituto Católico de Eduación Especial Juan Pablo II' and 'OVCI La Nostra Famiglia' will participate in a parade organised by CONADIS, the National Council for Disabilities, a government institution, on December 3rd in Esmeraldas.
On December 6th they will participate in a musical festival organised by Ministry of Economic and Social Inclusion (MIES).
Fundación Hogar del Ecuador will offer free medical services and will deliver crutches, walkers and spectacles.
On November 30 CBM partner Centro Cristiano de Servicios Medicos will organise an eye medical campaign in poor communities of Milagro, Ecuador
'Fundación Cuesta Holguin', located in Ambato, Central Ecuador, will organise a fair named 'Capacidad en Marcha' in which other foundations and people with disability will exhibit products, crafts as well as inform on the services they provide. Children with disability will present artistic exercises. Persons with disability, their families, schools, universities and companies where people with disability are working will be invited.
FASINARM will organise a conference to parents about comprehensive care of people with severe disabilities and elderly care on November 29. Conference about disability to parents, students and teachers of “15 de Octubre” School (testimony of the father of a person with disability) and an artistic participation of young people with disability on December 10.
- Exhibition and sale of the products made by the students of the vocational programs at Galerias Shopping Center on Dec. 1st.
- Parade with the participation of the organizations and associations of people with disability. The President of El Salvador (Mauricio Funes) will inaugurate a stand of different institutions of people with disability at the Cuscatlan Park
- Read more (in German) on the website of CBM Germany
- Exhibition to showcase what they can do
- Educative drama sketches
- Deliver a message to the community based on the theme for the celebration ('Removing barriers to create an inclusive and accessible society for all')
- As it is a joint celebration with World AIDS Day (which falls in the weekend on the first of December), emphasis will also made to include persons with disabilities within public health messages related to prevention of HIV/AIDS
- 'Dare to put yourself in my place' (Careers in wheelchairs, blind dynamics) on Dec. 1st
- Special programme with the participation of “Fundacion Artes Muy Especiales” and basketball wheelchair game
Kenya - Twende Kazi and Career fair targeting youth with disabilities, plus work with emergency programme partners
Twende Kazi; Transforming Kenya for Children with Disabilities campaign is a CBM initiative aimed at championing greater inclusion of children with disabilities in society by building engagement and commitment of key players in breaking the cycle of ‘disability and poverty’. The campaign will be officially launched on Thursday November 29th 2012.
- Mandera, North Eastern Kenya: In collaboration with our partners from the Emergency Programme APDK and NONDO, we will conduct and support: clinical assessments; community dialogue sessions; stakeholders forum
- Lodwar, Turkana, North West Kenya: In collaboration with our Emergency Programme Partners Merlin and Kenya Red Cross Society, CBM will conduct/support: Stakeholders Sensitization Workshop; World Aids Day events; Radio Talk Show with local radio station, call in time for public – on International Day of Persons with Disabilities; International Day for Persons with Disabilities event – march through Lodwar town, speeches, entertainment
- Launching ceremony of Hikima festival
- Exposition and sale
- Cultural evening – Movie
- Exposition and sale; Cultural evening; Movie; Award of Testimonies
- Exposition and sale
- Conference and debate
- Closing ceremony of the festival - Award of an assignment statement and testimonies.
- Radio interview with disability activists, professionals and the Minister of Social Affairs to be broadcasted on 3 local radio stations in Palestine.
- Reportage on the major challenges that people with intellectual disability and their families face in the Palestinian context to be posted on PNN website.
- Two TV spots: one featuring an enabling environment that allows people with intellectual disability to be productive members of society and another featuring a disabling environment that hinders their participation in society, to be featured on MIX satalite.
- A walk / procession in solidarity with the children of Gaza and all children victims of abuse and trauma including those with disability.
- Festivals targeting children with and without disability as well as awareness workshops on the rights of people with disabilities at the community centres in rural areas and refugee camps, that are BASR's partners.
Read more here - http://english.pnn.ps/index.php/home/pnn/about-pnn/international-day-of-persons-with-disabilities
- Press conference, interviews, a parade in favour of human rights of people with disability, demonstration of skills and abilities of various groups in the process of empowerment: word jaws braille, sign language, arts and crafts, and massotherapy.
- On December 3rd there will be a training process and monitoring in which will participate the staff of the National Bureau of Programmes and Projects of Paz y Esperanza.
- Participate in TV and Radio programmes to discuss barriers for people with disabilities to access various services or barriers that limit effective participation of people with disabilities in social, political and economic lives and the need to remove them so as to create an inclusive and accessible society for all. This will be done in collaboration with other DPOs under coordination of the Federation of Disabled Organisations in Tanzania (umbrella organisation).
- We will facilitate a small action research by people with disabilities whereby barriers to accessing various services e.g education, health etc will be identified and analysed. the findings will be presented by people with disabilities themselves through drama in the International Disability Day Celebrations to be held in Musoma (Northern part of Tanzania)
- Printing of T-shirts with this year's theme: "Removing barriers to create an inclusive and accessible society for all". The T-shirts will be used as promotion/advocacy materials to advocate for an inclusive society.
- We will conduct didactic workshop for primary school pupils from four primary schools
- Drama presentation by mothers of children with disabilities showing challenges they encounter by having a child with disability. The challenges from their husbands, other family members and the community at large (stigma)
- Performance from a famous artists on barriers to people with disabilities
- Processions and speeches from invited guests
- Talent presentations from People with disabilities
- Exhibitions from small businesses owned by people with disabilities
- In the morning: Prior to the conference and debate with the theme “Sport and culture, factors to promote the rights of persons with disabilities”, the President of FETAPH “Federation Togolaises des Associations des Personnes Handicapées”, the Representative for partners and the Ministry of Social Action and National Solidarity will have to present their respective speech to the assembly.
- In the Afternoon: Performances and artistic performances of different groups
- Basket game between the Lomé’s team and Sokode’s team (the players will be in wheelchairs).
UK - Diane Mulligan OBE presentation on the CRPD in London, and CBM UK have support of legendary entertainers
- A day full of good approaches and the promises from Government side of inclusion of Persons with Disabilities in Development Programs which again will be a topic of our Disability Mainstreaming workshop on Thursday.
- In the evening Muvie TV surprised us with the free screening of our documentary ‘Dreams of forgotten Youth’, a co-production of CBM, vilole images and Muvie TV.