We use cookies on this site to enhance your user experience. By clicking any link on this page you are giving your consent for us to set cookies.
See Privacy Policy

Nepal earthquake 2015

Indira's Story

Indira at her bed along with sister Mandira (16) in the special ward for female patients at CBM partner 'International Nepal Fellowship' (INF), in Pokhara, 200 km west of Kathmandu in Nepal.

Indira talks about her experience during the recent Nepal earthquake.


Indira (who is 27) lived with her parents in a two-storey mud house in remote Aapri village in Gorkha district in central Nepal. She worked in the fields and took care of the livestock. It was just three years ago Indira got married to Keshav, and lived in her parents’ house. While Indira’s father, Maila, worked most part of his life as a daily wage labourer in Birgunj, a major business town in western Nepal, her husband Keshav left for Malaysia a year ago to work as a migrant labourer. On 25th April 2015, a 7.8 magnitude earthquake hit Nepal, with epicentre in Barpak district – just a few kilometres away from Indira’s village. There were tremors of up to two minutes and by evening, at least 18 aftershocks had been felt. 10 days after the earthquake, 7,000 people had died and over 14,000 had been injured across Nepal.

Currently, Indira is under recovery at CBM partner ‘Green Pastures Hospital and Rehabilitation Centre’ (GPHRC), which is located in Pokhara and specializes in the treatment and rehabilitation of leprosy, disability, reconstructive surgery and spinal cord injury.

Below is an excerpt from a conversation with Indira about what her experience and ensuing difficulty during the recent Nepal earthquake.

Could you share what happened when the earthquake hit on April 25th?

That day I had a slight headache and was lying down in my house. Suddenly, the ground began to shake. In the beginning I thought it could be because I’m not feeling well. Later, when I realized it was an earthquake and began to run, the entire house collapsed on top of me. I don’t remember what happened after that… Sometime later when I regained consciousness, I was being pulled out of the debris by a group of villagers. It was then I realized I had broken my spine, and couldn’t move my legs at all… As the villagers carried me to a safe place, the ground kept shaking every few minutes. Later, I got to know that the entire village had been levelled, crops destroyed, livestock had been killed in hundreds, roads had cracked up, and to make things worse, there were huge stones falling from the hill on to our broken houses… Thankfully, none from my family was injured except me.

How long did you have to wait till you received any medical treatment? How long have been at Green Pastures Hospital, Pokhara?

Tushar Wali (left, Programme Manager, CBM ERU) and Surya Magar (staff, INF) interact with Indira at the special ward for female patients at CBM partner 'International Nepal Fellowship' (INF), in Pokhara, 200 km west of Kathmandu in Nepal.
For three days, no relief could reach our village. I had to lie down in immense pain and wait for medical treatment. We had nothing to eat… But because the roads had been badly damaged, nothing could reach our village. Then on the fourth day a helicopter arrived to carry injured people from Aapri to the district headquarters in Gorkha. Then a special ambulance transported me from Gorkha to Gandaki Hospital in Pokhara. It was there I finally received some medical treatment… Four days later, I was transferred to the Green Pastures Hospital in Pokhara for further recovery.

More reading

Nepal earthquake

CBM emergency team working with partners to provide for immediate and long-term needs in Nepal - including people with disabilities



Go to Website

CBM worldwide

back to CBM international

Or try this:

Due to your location and language settings you might be interested in the following CBM sites:

© CBM International

Meta navigation, Legal

Access key details