06.03.2015 Post-2015 Disability Achievements
I have been reflecting on our advocacy work in NY and wanted to share some of the stellar achievements that the International Disability Alliance (IDA), the International Disability and Development Consortium (IDDC), and other disability stakeholders collaboratively have achieved in the past year. As a group we have advocated for the inclusion of persons with disabilities in the UN post-2015 development processes. These achievements include, but are not limited to:
- Report of the Open Working Group of the General Assembly on Sustainable Development Goals (September 2014) (nine references to persons with disabilities)
- 65th annual UN DPI/NGO Conference outcome document (August 2014) (two references to persons with disabilities)
- Report of the Intergovernmental Committee of Experts on Sustainable Development Financing (August 2014) (four references to persons with disabilities)
- The Secretary-General’s Independent Expert Advisory Group on a Data Revolution for Sustainable Development (IEAG) released its report A World That Counts: Mobilising the Data Revolution for Sustainable Development (four disability references)
- Secretary-General’s Synthesis Report (December 2014) (four disability references)
- UN Conference on Small Island Developing States outcome document (September 2014) (10 disability references)
- World Conference on Indigenous Peoples Outcome Document (September 2014) (four references to Indigenous persons with disabilities) IDA and the Indigenous Persons with Disabilities Global Network (IPWDGN) led this work.
- Post-2015 framework for disaster risk reduction zero draft outcome document (March 2015) (five references to disability and one on universal design) The Disability Inclusive DRR Network (DiDRRN) significantly led this work.
Furthermore, collaboratively we:
- Continue to advocate for the nine explicit references of persons with disabilities in the SDGs to remain in post-2015 development framework.
- Advocate for the inclusion of persons with disabilities in the development of the post-2015 indicator framework, especially disaggregated data by disability status
- Write and disseminate IDA-IDDC advocacy papers on post-2015 themes: Sustainable Development Goals, Financing for Development (Thank you, Rachele Tardi, Light for the World!), Global Indicators, Disaster Risk Reduction, Women and Girls with Disabilities, Ageing Persons with Disabilities, and more.
Stay tuned for forthcoming updates!