Next week the 10th Conference of States Parties to the CRPD will take place at the UN in New York from 13-15 June. In conjunction, the CRPD Civil Society Forum will take place one day prior on 12 June and the DESA Forum on the day afterward on 16 June. The theme of this year’s COSP is “The Second Decade of the CRPD: Inclusion and full participation of persons with disabilities and their representative organizations in the implementation of the Convention.”
- Addressing the impact of multiple discrimination on persons with disabilities and promoting their participation and multi-stakeholder partnerships for achieving the SDGs in line with the CRPD;
- Inclusion and full participation of persons with disabilities in humanitarian action; and
- Promoting inclusive urban development and implementation of the New Urban Agenda – Habitat III
The COSP Bureau includes: President: Bulgaria (Eastern European Group) and Vice-Presidents: Tunisia (African Group), Sri Lanka (Asia-Pacific Group), Ecuador (Latin American and Caribbean Group) and Germany (Western European and Others Group)
CBM will have a strong presence this year with participation from Jane Edge, CEO CBM Australia; Sarah Meschenmoser, CBM Germany; Mirjam Gasser, CBM Switzerland; Diane Kingston, CBM International, IAA; Risna Utami, our partner from Indonesia; and me, CBM International, IAA.
Additionally, we will have an exhibition space inside the UN entitled “Leave no one behind: Disability-Inclusive Development through the CRPD and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development” with CBM publications, brochures and postcards demonstrating how CBM engages in promoting the rights of persons with disabilities in international cooperation through the CRPD and the 2030 Agenda. Moreover, our table will be situated alongside the exhibition of the CBM International, Handicap International and the International Disability Alliance project that is promoting inclusive humanitarian action for persons with disabilities. If you’re around, please stop by and say hi!
In addition, we are co-hosting and co-organizing two events:
- 1:15-2:30 Tuesday 13 June – Persons with disabilities on the move: The rights of refugees and migrants with disabilities Conference Room 4 (Inclusion International, CBM, and Handicap International co-sponsoring with International Disability Alliance, OHCHR, UNHCR, UNICEF, European Disability Forum, EESC, Human Rights Watch) (CBM is co-sponsoring)
- 11:45-1:00 Wednesday 14 June – Nothing about us without us: Enhancing participation of persons with disabilities in political and public life in Asia & Europe, Conference Room 11 (CBM, International Disability Alliance and Asia-Europe Foundation) (CBM is co-organizing and co-sponsoring)
Furthermore, Diane and I will participate in the following events:
- 13 June at 1:15 on people with disabilities on the move – moderating
- 13 June at 3:00 on mental health and human rights – moderating
- 14 June at 11:45 on political participation – moderating
- 14 June at 6:15 on women and election to CRPD committee (Women Enabled) speaker
- 14 June at 4:45 on Accessibility Issues for Hard of Hearing Persons [International Federation of Hard of Hearing People (IFHOH) and the International Disability Alliance (IDA)]