Tomorrow the High-level Political Forum (HLPF) 2017 kicks off at the United Nations in New York until 19 July. The HLPF is the global platform on the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and its Sustainable Development Goals. The theme for this year’s HLPF is “Eradicating poverty and promoting prosperity in a changing world.” The set of Goals to be reviewed in depth will be the following, including Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development, that will be considered each year:
- Goal 1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- Goal 2. End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Goal 3. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Goal 5. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Goal 9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Goal 14. Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
You can read the policy briefs here that the Stakeholder Group of Persons with Disabilities compiled on the Goals of focus.
During the second week, 44 countries will report on national SDG implementation and present their voluntary national reviews. At the national level, CBM has been very active in supporting the inclusion of persons with disabilities in the consultation process, including in Bangladesh, Indonesia, Nepal, and Togo. Thank you to all the stellar support and collaboration from the CBM national offices in this process.
From CBM, Alba Gonzalez (IAA) and I (IAA) will actively participate in the Forum. In addition, quite a few of our partners will be attending, including Risna Utami (Indonesia), Pratima Gurung (Nepal), Gabriel Ismael Soto Vadillo, RIADIS (Uruguay), and Judith Umoh (Nigeria). Overall, more than 50 persons with disabilities and allies are attending the HLPF and will represent the Stakeholder Group of Persons with Disabilities.